Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Review
65" VIERA 3D Plasma TV
Panasonic's VT25 series 3D plasma won many awards in 2010, including the Best of the Show award at CES 2010. Even though we didn't think it was the very best 3D TV available we thought it was certainly one of the best and a TV no consumer would be disappointed with. Panasonic returns to CES 2011 with the VT30 series, introducing new features and new screen sizes. The VT30 is the flagship from Panasonic this year and continues Panasonic's impressive tradition with plasma tv technology.
Picture and Viewing Feaures
The VT30 series features Panasonic's new Infinite Black Pro 2 panel, boasting even more impressive black levels and brightness over previous models it uses the 600Hz subfield drive to display 1080 lines of moving picture resolution even when displaying 3D. Full HD 3D is what separates some 3D televisions from others that lose lines of resolution when displaying 3D. The panel also features THX certification and 24p film playback for judder free performance from 24 frame per second sources.
Again this year the 3D plasmas only include one pair of 3D glasses, these glasses are rather expensive and we would like to see at least one more pair included with high-end, expensive televisions like the TC-P65VT30.
Panasonic has finally caught up with other manufacturers in offering a more modern looking television. Previous models weren't necessarily bad looking but they looked outdated when placed alongside their competition. This year Panasonic's plasmas have the single pane, seamless glass look where the front glass extends all the way to the edges of the TV. This is among our favorite looks for flat panel TVs so we are glad to see Panasonic catch up to their competition in the looks department.
Internet Applications and Connectivity
Panasonic is feature two internet connectivity features in their 2011 televisions, VIERA Connect and Easy IPTV. VIERA Connect is a proprietary fearture that features apps like Hulu Plus, MLB TV, Napster, Facebook, NBA Game Time and NHL Game Center. It uses a keyword search feature for quickly finding your favorite applications and can also be used to make Skype video calls.
Easy IPTV connects to popular streaming and social media sites such as Netflix, Amazon Video on Demand, CinemaNow, Napster, Pandora Internet Radio and Facebook.
Full HD 3D is probably the most standout feature on the TC-P65VT30, delivering full 1080p to each eye gives a better 3D experience than televisions that have to sacrifice resolution to show 3D.
This year's expanded internet offerings are another feature we like, online features in televisions emerged from infancy last year and offered features that were far more use than the "gimmicky" offerings of the past. This year looks to be even stronger.
VIERA Image Viewer uses the SD Card slot on the VT30 to let you use the TV to show slide shows of your favorite pictures or even play video from the SD Card.
The TC-P65VT30 includes the full suite of connection options, multiple HDMI 1.4 inputs, analog component and composite video inputs, RS232 control, 2 USB inputs and the aforementioned SD Card slot. It does not include wireless networking but it can be added using one of the USB ports.
-Jack Burden, Contributor
- Screen size: 64.7" diagonal / 1920 x 1080p resolution / Full HD 3D-ready
- Aspect ratio: Widescreen 16:9
- Progressive features: VIERA Cast internet access / 600Hz sub-field drive / THX certification / Digital Cinema Color
- Best video inputs: 4 HDMI (4 side): 3D input (all), Audio return channel (input 1) / 3 USB
- Other inputs: 1 LAN ethernet port / component video + analog audio / composite video / PC (D-sub 15-pin) / analog audio / RS-232C
- Audio enhancements: BBE ViVA HD3D sound / Surround sound
- Built-in speakers: 10W woofer / 6W x 2 l/r / 22W total power @10% THD
- Mounting options: Table-top pedestal included / Wall-mount compatible
- Remote control: IR remote included
- VIERA Cast / VIERA Image Viewer / VIERA Link / VIERA Tools
- ENERGY STAR 4.0 / Lead- and mercury-free construction
- 24p Cinematic Playback / 24p playback (2:3)
- Output: 1 digital audio / 1 analog audio
- Tuners: Built-in digital/analog tuners (ATSC/NTSC/QAM)
- Game Mode
- Native contrast ratio: 5,000,000:1 Infinite Black Pro
- Support for Deep Color, x.v. Color
- Screen coating: Anti-reflective filter
- Video features: Progressive scan / 3D color management / Motion-adaptive 3D Y/C digital comb filter / Pro setting / Sub-pixel control / Pixel Orbiter / Motion pattern noise reduction
- Aspect control: Normal / Zoom / Full / Just / H-fill for TV/AV modes / 4:3 / Full for PC mode
- Wireless LAN Adapter included
- Menu languages: English / Spanish / French
- Built-in Closed Caption decoder
- Video-input label
- Video picture memory
- One pair of 3D Active Shutter glasses included with the purchase of a VT30 series television
- Dimensions: 61.9" W x 37.7" H x 2.4" D, without stand / 61.9" W x 39.2" H x 15.8" D, with stand
- Weight (approximate): 123.5 lbs, without stand / 138.9 lbs, with stand